Friday, January 14, 2005

Oh what a tangled web..

I am watching season two of West Wing that's come through at last!

Within it was a FANTASTIC speech from President Bartlett. In response to a homophobic radio presenter.

"I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleaned the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police?

Here's one that's really important cause we've got a lot of sports fans inthis town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7 If they promise to wear gloves can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?

Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother, John, for planting different crops side by side?

Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads?

Think about those questions, would you?"

As he delivered it I thought... THAT sounds familiar. I read that on the internet. How fabulous that somebody copied that and put it out on the net.

Yes. I was right that it was put on the web. However it was put on the web BEFORE it was on the show.

Apparently Aaron Sorkin read it online and tried to find the author to give it a credit but was unable to do so.

From the web to the television screen.

Think on, blog pals.

What you say now could be on West Wing next year!

No comments: