We need perhaps though to be visible outside our doors. I spent a lovely afternoon in sunshine listening to a pair of buskers and these could easily have been a pair of Christians sharing songs of hope.
I'm aware that these are somewhat vague ramblings and only the beginnings of thoughts about how Christians should be visible in our communitites. My current conclusions include:
- We can't rely on our churches to be visible signs of our Christian communities as people see them as interesting historic buildings not as bases of mission.
- We need to be seen outside our doors
- We need to make our buildings seem more open from the outside and easy to enter.
- We should be seeking out parts of the community culture where we can engage and show we exist - a church team at the local pub quiz? an ancient style service featuring during a viking week? a chaplaincy to the local shops/schools/hospitals/prisons
- As individuals we need to be bold in talking about our vocations as Christians to the jobs we have be that teacher, carer, gardener, musician, artist etc