Friday, February 04, 2005

History in the making

As I said yesterday, Nelson Mandela was in London yesterday for the MAKE POVERTY HISTORY campaign and my friend Dave was able to be there. He's written up his experiences with pictures so go have a look at that.

Gordon Brown meets today with the other G7 finance ministersa and he seems to be really passionate for change right now. I was rather impressed and I hope it's not all a stunt to get more votes at the next general election. I'd like to think that it is motivated by a devotion to justice and I remain determined to look on that bright side until I receive evidence tothe contrary!

Anyway, even if it IS a bid to win back the traditional Labour voter, if it means an end to world poverty would that matter? Could we REALLY achieve an end to world poverty? Jesus said "the poor are always with you" but could there really be a time when that is no longer true? Wouldn't our food of plenty taste all the sweeter if we knew that there was no-one in this world who was without food?

I heard the speeches from Mandela and from Bob Geldof yesterday (which Dave handily typed in - hurrah for copy and paste!) so for you delectation:

Nelson Mandela:
"Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings...
Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice. It is the protection of a fundamental human right; the right to dignity and a decent life. While poverty persists, there is no true freedom...
Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom. Of course the task will not be easy but not to do this would be a crime against humanity, against which I ask all humanity now to rise up...

Make poverty history in 2005.

Make history in 2005.

Then we can all stand with our heads held high."

However the words of Bob Geldof say it with bluntness and style:

I’m tired of the politics of being nice... I want the politics of responsibility... I’m sick of standing in squares, linking arms for a cause, tear gas and records, I’m sick of this crap... I say again, Feed The World for we starve for justice, hunger for dignity, thirst for an end to degradation and we have nothing to nourish our dreams.”

No comments: