Friday, October 14, 2005

The Taize community and MOTHER church

In contrast to the discussion at our FRESH network, I've been following various discussions about the Taize community on another site recently which have called into question the integrity of that community and its validity. I've found the comments some people have made about it rather shocking for their visciousness and negativity. People have questioned whether the community actually preaches the gospel, builds up the kingdom and leads people to faith or if instead it opens up paths to the occult. This was such a shocking accusation especially as it came from Christians. Then today I received the newsletter from Taize and there was a passage exploring a very similar issue. It reflects on the pasage in the Gospel of Mark which described Jesus' own family coming close to calling his ministry into question. It reminded me that even Jesus faced opposition from good people with good intentions but confused ideas about what God's will is for his creation:

"Being Christ's brother or sister or mother"
--------------------------------------------
Mark 3:31-35: In this passage, Christ uses a small incident as a starting-point to express something important about what it means to be close to him. His family, worried by the unexpected course his life is taking, come looking for him. When their arrival is announced, he responds with a startling question: Who are my mother and my brothers? … "Doing God's will" or "putting God's will into practice" does not mean following an arbitrary set of rules or submitting to orders that first have to be deciphered and then carried out. It implies a dynamic of trust. If we come to understand, however tentatively, that God loves us, little by little it becomes clear that God's will for us is his love, and nothing else. Trust in this leads to a desire to do what pleases him, a desire that can take root spontaneously and naturally. And what pleases him is nothing other than to love in our turn. It is by entering this dynamic of trust, even if we understand it only a very little, that we find ourselves counted by Christ as his brothers, sisters, and mothers.

Why are "those who do God's will" more important to Christ even than his own family?
What does "doing God's will" mean for me?
What could it mean for me to be Christ's brother or sister or mother?

Monthly Bible meditation from Taize

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is shocking. I have been to Taize and it was the most amazing week, where you become a part of the community. It was amazing to worship together, work together and meet people from all over the world. In terms of preaching the gospel, these people seem to have a bery narrow view of what it means to preach the gospel. As far I was concerened, by living and working in the community I was sharing my faith, my worship and the gospel everyday minute. I wonder if these people have even been there!?

Sarah Brush said...

I would put a link to it but I've found it wasn't constructive endeavouring to engage in dialogue with them and I wouldn't want anyone else facing the same frustration.

Taize is an amazing place of prayer and integrity. To hear it knocked is nearly as shocking as the news of someone attacking and killing Brother Roger.