Thursday, October 27, 2005

Great Scot!

Fabulous few days in Edinburgh visiting my friends Mike and Sue and also Wayne who’s been up there buried in some archives.




It was gloomy and moody my first full day there and then today it was bathed in brilliant sunshine and was simply stunning. I tried haggis with neeps and tatties and then today had a somewhat more delectable fish kebab at an Italian restaurant which battles with the chocolate soup I had at the emporium of that name as top nosh for my time here.




I did do things other than eat of course! In fact I have hardly stopped walking round the amazing city , eyes open wide and drinking in all the delights Edinburgh presents. The juxtaposition of Arthur’s seat with the city really is incredible. There’s a bustling city right slap bang next to a huge craggy hill – it’s just stunning! There was the fabulous trip up Calton hill today with splendid views of the city and of Arthur’s Seat and the Salisbury Crags. Wayne and I also had a pleasant stroll around the National Gallery of Scotland including the delights of Vermeer’s Jesus at the house ofMary and Martha and some other spectacular landscapes. There was also some absolutely wonderful modern stained glass at the castle and both cathedrals (of Episcopal church and church of Scotland).





I’m now travelling down the east coast with absolutely spectacular views of the sea and rolling hills with glorious blue skies. It is true what they say; on a clear day you can see forever! I’ve had the delights of seeing Newcastle upon tyne and Durham cathedral as well as sheep in curiously precarious places and lots of fabulous coastline. Seeing the sea today makes me even more keen to go to Brighton on Saturday (if it is at ALL possible for me to be more keen!) and meet some friends and even get to eat at Momma Cherri’s soul food shack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the pics of Edinburgh on Flikr.

Is my heart breaking or is it just a tinge of nostalgia? I grew up there. And went off to live in adventurous European places when UK joined the EU 30+ years ago. But your pictures bring back the very smell and accents of the place.

Is that really chocolate soup?

Is the Psalm 19 verse on the parliament building?

Sarah Brush said...

It is chocolate soup yes! Well very rich hot chocolate but pretty much as good as :oD

That is a verse from Psalm 19 on the parliament building yes. I was impressed too. There were other great quotations but my batteries were low which was a nightmare!