Monday, April 03, 2006

The sermon that never was

I was on the rota to lead Evensong (Book of Common Prayer) last Sunday and as usual I mulled over the readings for a while... well... it turns out that in fact I didn't. It turns out that I mulled over the readings for the WEEK BEFORE for a while. So this weekend I did my first last minute sermons which went down rather well actually (what does that tell me?). However it is still in scribble form and never made it to the full text version (just bullet points really). The first one didn't get the final polishing job as I realised my mistake before that stage.

Nevertheless, instead of the sermon I DID preach, I thought I'd give you the sermon that never was...

READINGS:
Exodus 6.2-13
God also spoke to Moses and said to him: "I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name "The Lord' I did not make myself known to them. I also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land in which they resided as aliens. I have also heard the groaning of the Israelites whom the Egyptians are holding as slaves, and I have remembered my covenant. Say therefore to the Israelites, "I am the Lord, and I will free you from the burdens of the Egyptians and deliver you from slavery to them. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my people, and I will be your God. You shall know that I am the Lord your God, who has freed you from the burdens of the Egyptians. I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; I will give it to you for a possession. I am the Lord.'" Moses told this to the Israelites; but they would not listen to Moses, because of their broken spirit and their cruel slavery.
10 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, "Go and tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the Israelites go out of his land." But Moses spoke to the Lord, "The Israelites have not listened to me; how then shall Pharaoh listen to me, poor speaker that I am?" Thus the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, and gave them orders regarding the Israelites and Pharaoh king of Egypt, charging them to free the Israelites from the land of Egypt.


Romans 5.1-11

Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand; and we boast in our hope of sharing the glory of God. And not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. Indeed, rarely will anyone die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person someone might actually dare to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us. Much more surely then, now that we have been justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life. But more than that, we even boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Psalms
13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I bear pain F11 in my soul, and have sorrow in my heart all day long? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O Lord my God! Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death, and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed"; my foes will rejoice because I am shaken. But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

14
Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is no one who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God. They have all gone astray, they are all alike perverse; there is no one who does good, no, not one.
Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread, and do not call upon the Lord? There they shall be in great terror, for God is with the company of the righteous. You would confound the plans of the poor, but the Lord is their refuge. O that deliverance for Israel would come from Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob will rejoice; Israel will be glad.

“We also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
and endurance produces character,
and character produces hope,
and hope does not disappoint us”

Many of us do indeed boast in our sufferings but do we do it so that it may produce endurance or provoke sympathy? The Israelites were certainly good at boasting of their sufferings. The psalmists too show much ability to boast of sufferings:

“How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I bear pain in my soul, and have sorrow in my heart all day long? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?”

Yet this is not what Paul means when he says we BOAST of our sufferings. No he means that because of grace, even in times of suffering we can be sure of God’s grace

“We also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
Perhaps this is why we commit to certain disciplines in Lent to produce endurance.
Something which St Paul says is CHARACTER BUILDING

Two ways of looking at suffering. God has abandoned us. God is with us so it’s ok. In fact it’s good for us.

God can be daunting in his offering to us and his willingness to give us what we most desire. Sometimes what he offers us is so much what we want that like the Israelites we can’t quite believe it.

Yet it is sometimes hard to be sure of God’s presence.
So God sent someone to whom we can relate
Having made us in his image God remakes himself in our image to come to us in the form of Jesus.

Jesus is somehow more approachable as we know Jesus experienced much that we experience.

No comments: