Thursday, November 10, 2005

Saintly aid

Been on a two day course to renew my appointed first aider at work certificate this week with St John's Ambulance. It was incredibly reassuring to realise just how much of this stuff I do know how to do!

Today was the assessment and I passed - hurrah!

Part of the assessment involved the assessor asking me what incidents I'd had to deal with since I qualified before. This took SOME TIME!!! I'd had to deal with far more incidents as part of youth work (and actually two or three walking down the high street!) than most of the other people on the course and Max says she had a similar experience too! Perhaps we should make more of this as Ian says.... maybe we are the 17th emergency service!!!

I think my favourite part of today though was leading a game with the people who were waiting for their assessments. We passed a merry half hour of "Fred likes" (with a great one: "Fred likes compressions but he doesn't like rescue breaths" That's one I've not heard before!) and then one of our trainers took up the baton with a game of "I pass these scissors crossed" ( "oooh Fred likes scissors!!!") Personally I thought we should pass the scissors closed and by holding the blade!!! ;oP Then one of the other trainess led us in "In my shop I bought a...." All good fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Fantastic, this I think most youth workers should do. Congrats on passing :D Wish you a happy weekend!

anneberit
http://limeblog.net