Friday, June 29, 2007

It looks like a castle but it's not

These are the words I heard from a 6/7 year old walking past our church down the churchyard path with his dad. It got me thinking - I hope people do see that the church is not a castle - not a fortified place defending what's inside it from the outside world. I hope they focus on the "it's not" part - the wide open doors that welcome all of any age. hmmm - that'll have me pondering.

"I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." Matthew 11.25

2 comments:

bugs said...

out of the mouths of babes... thanx this gave me food for thought

Anonymous said...

But, if you remember Gammalstad, folk would flee into their church because it was a fortified building - so it is just whether you see it as a comforting fort or an imperialist presence, I guess...