Saturday, September 17, 2005

Xp Chillout worship

This evening the chillout worship with young people was inspired by part of the text worship at Greenbelt. The text worship involved all sorts of different things including making an origami dove. Last Sunday, the young people and I decided to use other forms of paper folding as well as part of our worship.

I include my notes for it here. It gives you a taste of what happened though it's tricky to give a full picture. The music is generally played at the same time as the words are read unless stated. I'll try and get some pictures up soon. It's posisble that you might want to use some of the ideas. Please feel free to do so. I only ask that you let me know how it works.


MUSIC: Christophe Goze, About Us (6.22)
Find yourself a comfortable place and prepare to worship.
Jesus invites each one of us to come to him. The invitation is there as it was for the woman at the well.

He came into Sychar, a Samaritan village that bordered the field Jacob had given his son Joseph. Jacob's well was still there. Jesus, worn out by the trip, sat down at the well. It was noon. A woman, a Samaritan, came to draw water. Jesus said, "Would you give me a drink of water?" (His disciples had gone to the village to buy food for lunch.) The Samaritan woman, taken aback, asked, "How come you, a Jew, are asking me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?" (Jews in those days wouldn't be caught dead talking to Samaritans.) Jesus answered, "If you knew the generosity of God
and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I would give you fresh, living water." The woman said, "Sir, you don't even have a bucket to draw with, and this well is deep. So how are you going to get this 'living water'? Are you a better man than our ancestor Jacob, who dug this well and drank from it, he and his sons and livestock, and passed it down to us?" Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks this water will get thirsty again and again. Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst - not ever. The water I give will be an artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life." (John 4:4-26 from The Message)


So I invite you to make that step to make ready to accept Jesus.

In making the cup out of BLUE OR PINK PAPER think about preparing to worship and take a drink from the pool

The woman said, "Sir, give me this water so I won't ever get thirsty, won't ever have to come back to this well again!" …He said, " You worship guessing in the dark; we Jews worship in the clear light of day. God's way of salvation is made available through the Jews. But the time is coming - it has, in fact, come - when what you're called will not matter and where you go to worship will not matter. God is sheer being itself - Spirit. Those who worship him must do it out of their very being, their spirits, their true selves, in adoration." The woman said, "I don't know about that. I do know that the Messiah is coming. When he arrives, we'll get the whole story." "I am he," said Jesus. "You don't have to wait any longer or look any further."


During this track I want you to imagine all the things in your life that are confusing you, the things that stop your life from being smooth, not only outside pressure but all those things that you do that make your life less than God would want them to be.

MUSIC: Evanescence, Bring me to Life (3.57)

These things are storms in our lives. We often feel our lives are blown about by all kinds of things. Jesus offers us that boat to sail through them

Late that day he said to them, "Let's go across to the other side." They took him in the boat as he was. Other boats came along. A huge storm came up. Waves poured into the boat, threatening to sink it. And Jesus was in the stern, head on a pillow, sleeping! They roused him, saying, "Teacher, is it nothing to you that we're going down?"


Write these things on the piece of RED paper.

We make them into a boat and float them in the pool.


Then knowing about it all about all those things Jesus can take them from us, can bring calm to our storm.

MUSIC: Plaza, Beach Drifter (4.00)

Awake now, he told the wind to pipe down and said to the sea, "Quiet! Settle down!" The wind ran out of breath; the sea became smooth as glass. Jesus reprimanded the disciples: "Why are you such cowards? Don't you have any faith at all?" They were in absolute awe, staggered. "Who is this, anyway?" they asked. "Wind and sea at his beck and call!" (from The Message)

Jesus took away the storm from the disciples and can take away our storms. Jesus can be with us through the storms

The early church remembered Jesus with the symbol of the fish because the Greek work icthus could be spelled by the first letters of the Greek words “Jesus Christ Son of God, Saviour.”

What does Jesus say to you.

As we listen to this track, listen for his call as you make the fish out of COLOURED paper

MUSIC: Moby, Down Slow 1.34

We use a prayer for Growth from The Book of Uncommon Prayer

MUSIC: Zero 7 “Up with people” 5.29

When God takes all our troubles away and speaks to us we can dream dreams and ask him to make them true for us

During this track, write your dreams on the piece of a4 WHITE paper and we will let them fly.

MUSIC: Zero 7 When it Falls (5.30)

We then make the pieces of paper into paper planes and fly them across the church


Then asking God to make the dreams fly not just in the human material way but in God’s way, we invite the Holy Spirit to Guide us.

Think about the your dreams the things you want. We ask God for the things WE want but sometimes his answer is not yes but sounds like no. The answer so often is in fact “Why do you ask for that? There is something so much better.” Pray about your dreams and what God wants for you as we listen to this track

MUSIC: Delirious?, Sanctify (4.13)

As we listen to this track
Adiemus, Cantus Iteratus (6.40)

We take the white piece of paper and make it into a dove, remembering the Holy Spirit as a dove:

‘Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased."’
Open your ears, God, to my prayer; don't pretend you don't hear me knocking. Come close and whisper your answer. I really need you. at the mean voice, quail before the evil eye, As they pile on the guilt, stockpile angry slander. My insides are turned inside out; spectres of death have me down. I shake with fear, I shudder from head to foot. "Who will give me wings," I ask - "wings like a dove?" Get me out of here on dove wings; I want some peace and quiet. I want a walk in the country, I want a cabin in the woods. I'm desperate for a change from rage and stormy weather. (Psalm 55:1-8 1 from The Message)

Focussing on the doves we say together
COME HOLY SPIRIT
COME HOLY SPIRIT
Amen

No comments: